Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP advance through a dealer and test them for three weeks thoroughly in Scandinavia. After thousands of photos as I can tell the camera well in practice. My profile: experienced amateur (with manual film cameras " grown up " ) , focuses nature photography, landscape , but also like street photography , city , night , portrait , videography just a bit on the side.
In Scandinavia, nature and landscape were the focus , clearly , including but hard-hitting auto focus tests with approaching birds. Puffins for example, are fairly small and fast (80 km / h). The requirements are the " BIF (bird in flight ) " generally higher than in the sports photography because many birds softer contours and contrasts verwaschenere offer as an athlete in colorful jerseys or racing cars. As a comparative case I had my long-standing 7D in the luggage (because the magnification factor in va for macro and telephoto photography), next to a fellow traveler with an extensive equipment from Nikon ( D300, still without the " S") . Objective : I had on my 5D Mark III from 18 mm wide- angle to 500 mm telephoto Zeiss a whole range of lenses in use , thanks to weight training before the trip I was able to make hand shots with the 500 .
Canon EOS 5D Mark III is a great full-frame rounder. In the image quality , however, it beats the 5D2 only slightly . The resolution is comparable to the noise performance slightly better ( but not for worlds) . The biggest advancement in image quality provides the 5D3 in the most amazing lifelike color reproduction, you can rely on in many situations simply to automatic white balance. Super : the large LCD screen , which represents the colors very well . Crucial in comparison to the 5DII is the completely revised autofocus system . With the right lens it works practically still to dark ( see details below) , and it is the most reliable AF system , with which I have ever photographed - much better than the already good the 7D , but at the low contrast is weakening fast times . In addition, the 5D III is wonderful fast, compared to the 5DII , it depends on the gas , so to speak ( = trigger ;-)) . This ranges from the shutter lag to the faster frame rate of 6 frames / s This Canon has eliminated the biggest shortcoming of the 5DII .
Canon EOS 5D Mark III for amateurs already constitutes a violent investment , for those interested here are some more useful tips and experiences in detail. A Rezi for a 3300- euro - unit ( mid-2012 ) may be more descriptive , I think.
- Autofocus system . The EOS 5D Mark III has the professional AF system of the new EOS 1D X get ( with a few discounts when tracking features , specifically, the ability to track faces ) . About three parameters , it offers the ability to track objects with different behavior in simple terms. For example, it can detect and track , without being irritated by changing the background too much approaching birds in the right setting. This is complex and requires training , but Canon is in ergonomics again exemplary: The camera's menu offers six different cases that are explained on the basis of sports photography , pre-made settings. In order to get even by well , if necessary they can be easily individually influence . Canon has the menu organized so that it has its own tab on the AF functions , while the RR parameter you have to look at the individual functions in the 7D. Very clearly. In practice, the AF system of the 5D III is significantly better than that of the 7D , my yield sharp images of moving objects has increased significantly. Very bad saw the Nikon D300 ( without S ) compared (using comparable lenses) , but in fairness I must state that this camera in 2007 came on the market .
Canon EOS 5D Mark III had to make the new AF sensor chip rather large to accommodate all 61 AF points with cross - and even diagonal cross sensors. This required compromises , and so the engineers have all the " nice to have " sensors placed on the outside of the chip, all the "must have " features more inside. The downside : only fast lenses that offer an aperture of at least f = 2.8 , can fully illuminate the large AF sensor with the aperture wide open . This is especially true for the diagonal cross-type sensors that are sensitive to inclined by 45 ° lines , and sitting on the chip very outside . According to the manual Canon ( only the inner region of the AF points with important functions =) holds lenses in groups A (= light strong enough for all functions ) to H together . This may sound daunting at first , but in practice, the camera also works well with less bright lenses . The system is also logical, because the larger the aperture , the smaller the depth of field and more precisely , the focal plane needs to sit on the sensor. I are certainly amazingly reliable hand shots of approaching birds with my old EF 500 mm f / 4,5 succeeded , although this is just a group E lens . This is also true for Canon's classic Birder lens, the EF 400 mm f / 5.6 , which really makes fun of 5D III . The hammer is the way the interaction with the EF 70-200/2 , 8 II in low light conditions .
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS has indeed undergone an amazing turn of the years of the leader of the pixel race to modest by today's standards pixel numbers and get it from some, spanking . I for one am glad that the 5D III is designed more cautious with their "only" 22 megapixels compared to Nikon's new D800 pixel cars . The larger pixel avoid some drawbacks that I know only too well of the 7D . Their pixels about the size of the pixels of the Nikon D800 . An unpleasant consequence of the smaller pixels is a fairly small aperture supportive of the f = 7.1 . For larger f-numbers , the light at the needle small apertures so strong bent ( an inevitable consequence of the wave nature of light ) that the pixels of the motif blossom into slices that are larger than the pixel . Latest from f = 10 loses the 7D therefore clearly of resolution at the pixel level , the images are significantly blurred ( for pictures with fine structures ) . Nikon D800 is expected to show a similar behavior , because the laws of physics can not be circumvented . Landscape photographers so no longer get the full resolution of 36 MP sensor , but still gigantic files for very large f-numbers . With the larger pixels of the 5D III, however, I hardly need to worry about my loss of detail due to diffraction . The beneficial aperture is about f = 10 and f = 14 or more you can still in good conscience work .
- Noise. Up from the 7D ( and similar models with the 18- megapixel APS - C sensor ) experience a different world here . The Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP at ISO 6400 makes much better pictures than Canon's current APS-C DSLRs at ISO in 1600. Amazingly , I even convincing bird portraits at ISO 10000 hingekriegt without the spring structures in the noise drown completely . The comparison with the 5DII , however, is not so clear ( I do not have to , but I played around extensively with borrowed copies ) . The noise seems to be somewhat better, but also the noise reduction system of the 5D Mark III goes right to work aggressively . In people portraits that works impressively well . But when it comes to fine details , I recommend to turn off the noise reduction completely and accept the Canon quite pleasant analog " graininess " of the noise. Two examples :
5D III is , as I said, rather in the very natural color reproduction even in the standard white balance without much screws on parameters. Even with artificial light , the results are surprisingly good , if not perfect . It was interesting the way here the comparison with the old Nikon D300, consisting of purple violets - all Screwdriver on color management contrary - made merciless blue flowers. This shows how the development has progressed in recent years , certainly at Nikon .
5D III a " Creative Recording" button, which opens the following three features . In addition to the classic " Picture Style " (Standard, Portrait , Landscape , etc.) it now offers " Multiple Exposure " what the creative analog photographers heart beat faster , and the ability to automatically produce by the camera HDR JPEGs ( with quite variable influenced setting parameters ) . For non-critical designs with clearly delineated contours or very soft gradients and the HDR function works quite useful (but best to use a tripod to prevent not move the individual images against each other) . In classic forest tree tops against blue sky but you're gonna get ugly fast bright edges ( " halos " ) at the top , because trees unravel once strong now . As manual work on the computer is still unavoidable.
DSLR are therefore large, indecent loud, and only from the semi-professional level upwards I see them personally for a few years future. The market for mini- DSLR viewfinders are useless with the system cameras have rolled up with electronic viewfinders soon , I think. However, at least the disadvantage of the loud mirror bounce, can the EOS 5D Mark III off amazingly well . In - but slower - Silent mode, it is so subtle quietly that I would not shy away from me to use them during a Mass in a church times. I have learned to love properly the silent mode .
5D Mark III under control. Also moire effects in small patterned color (such as clothing or more distant brick walls) are practically at the 5D III no longer an issue . A great feature is that on touch-sensitive reversible thumb . Then you can sweep up in the depression instead of spinning it . So you can , for example, re-adjust the recording level when sound, without producing annoying geezer noise in sensitive video shooting in quiet environments . For demanding videographer inside the upgrading of the 5D2 worth safe.
+ + Superb image quality
+ + High resolution spite of a moderate number of pixels
+ + Very natural color reproduction
+ + Low noise even at high ISO values extends the capabilities of available- light Photography, almost in the range of night vision devices
+ + Topp autofocus system with 61 AF points configurable 5D makes now an all-rounder
+ + AF system works with high-speed lenses virtually in the dark
+ + Significantly faster response than 5DII , reduced shutter lag
+ + For these full-size class below the major professional body very high frequency of 6 frames / sec ( with a good map )
+ + Mature video function
+ + Haptic processing , ergonomics and usability topp
+ Wonderful silent mode for discreet shooting
+ Very good , large LCD screen
+ 100 -percent viewfinder
+ Additional card slot for SD cards (eg for JPEGs )
+ Who 's even need ( I'd rather not ): is now as well as Nikon camera RAW processing images possible.
-Value for money appropriate to the professional AF system , but who can wait for lower prices , that should do
-The famous light leakage problem is solved in the current model series.
- No Ausklappblitz for the occasional Anblitzen , if you do not Aufsteckblitz this
- Full AF functionality even in low-light lenses would be even better
- No output uncompressed video data (as opposed to the Nikon D800 ) , but this also requires massive computing power ( memory, disk space )
- A few teething problems in the software , including the most popular yet beliegenden DPP versions 3.11.10.XX can not display RAW files in full resolution - so update immediately after installation. But this is typical of new models and done with various firmware updates.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III it tends by default to muddying very fine structures and to make it appear waxy. Especially in landscape or fine fur or feather structures falling on unpleasant. The reason is the default setting , the more aggressive approach to the suppression of noise and artifacts than the 5D II Here Canon clearly had professional photographers and journalists in the eye , where the " cleanliness " of Wedding or politician pictures at high ISO values is important as thinnest structures in landscape photos. Your photos are so rarely printed in A3 format , and web resolution is always enough.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III but you get quite Tell RAW post-processing , and it is the dissolution of the 5D II not after . With Canon's DPP software supplied free of charge to reach the two of the three sliders under " unsharp mask " , via " fineness " and " threshold" . These two pulling to the left ( = finer details + lower threshold the detail drawing ) and observed as the image change . The result is total eye-opening experience , suddenly the finest structures are there. But you have to like the 5D II will also accept more noise than price (which I almost always prefer ) .
In fact, Canon EOS 5D Mark III should install this in a future firmware update, the possibility still in the camera (or similar by Picture Style menu) to select maximum fineness at low threshold as the default settings for RAW files . The noise reduction yes you can turn down on the camera and off completely .
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 5D Mark III